- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Kidney Beans
- ½ Cup of The Real Coconut Splash of Lime Tortilla Chips, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Onion Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Chili Powder
Fixings for Salad Bowl
Lettuce (Romaine, Iceberg, Spinach)
- Drain and lightly rinse the beans. Pat them dry with a paper towel. Spread the beans on a plate and smash with a fork until they make a sort of paste. Add these to a medium-sized bowl.
- In a resealable bag, add about ½ of a bag of The Real Coconut Splash of Lime Tortilla Chips. Pound them out with a rolling pin or the bottom of a glass until they are finely crushed. You can also use a food processor for this step. Add these to the same bowl with the beans.
- Add in the olive oil, onion flakes, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is well-incorporated.
- Scoop out ½ cup of the bean mixture and form into round patties about ¾-inch thick. This will make 4 patties.
- Add some olive or avocado oil to a pan on the stove. Cook the burgers evenly on both sides until they form a crust on the outside and are heated all the way through.
- To build a taco burger bowl: Add lettuce to a bowl. Top with the black bean taco burgers and your favorite veggies. Mix together plain coconut/almond milk yogurt with your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime to make an easy, dairy-free dressing.
Store any leftover burgers in the refrigerator. These re-heat best in the microwave.
Recipe by Kari Hauger. Kari is the recipe creator and gluten-free food blogger at The Savory Celiac. Her blog includes recipes, restaurant recommendations, travel guides, and lifestyle tips. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2017 and is passionate about sharing her knowledge and experiences with the gluten-free community.