For the Kale Salad
- 4 cups baby kale (or greens of your choice)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 3-4 radishes, sliced thinly
- ¼ red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 apple, sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 of The Real Coconut Turmeric and Cumin Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for roasting veggies)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (for frying the tortilla strips)
For The Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Roasted Autumn Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Cut the sweet potato into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut the stem off of a head of cauliflower and break into small florets.
- Place the sweet potatoes and cauliflower on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with onion flakes, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together so all the veggies are well-coated with the seasoning.
- Bake at 375° for about 25 minutes until they are soft and just beginning to darken on the edges.
- While the veggies are roasting, you can start to assemble the salad.
- In a large serving bowl, lay down all the greens.
- Cut the other ingredients to layer on top of the salad: slice the radishes into thin disks, cut the apple into matchsticks, cut the tomatoes into wedges, and slice the avocados and red onion.
- When the sweet potatoes and cauliflower are finished roasting, let them cool for a few minutes before placing in the center of the greens. Place all the other veggies/fruit around the roasted veggies.
- For the crunchy tortilla strips: Cut 2-3 of The Real Coconut Turmeric and Cumin tortillas in half, then cut those halves into ½ inch strips. In a pan on the stove, heat about 2 tablespoons of avocado oil (you can also use olive or coconut oil). Place tortilla strips into the hot oil and cook about 2 minutes on each side until they start to slightly brown on each side. Place tortilla strips on a paper towel to absorb some of the oil and keep them crispy. Sprinkle tortilla strips on top of salad.
- Drizzle with maple balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
For the Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, garlic powder, turmeric, salt, and black pepper. You can also add all ingredients to a mason jar (with a lid) and give it a good shake. Serve over the autumn kale salad.
- You can choose any hearty vegetable for roasting: butternut squash, broccoli, eggplant, brussels sprouts, green beans, zucchini, etc. To make things even easier, buy packages of pre-cut vegetables.
- For an extra special “Taco Tuesday”, you can use the salad filling (roasted veggies, tomatoes, avocados, onions, radishes, apples, and kale) inside of The Real Coconut’s Turmeric and Cumin Superfood Tortillas. Drizzle with the maple balsamic dressing and sprinkle with sunflower seeds before serving. Yum!
Recipe by Kari Hauger. Kari is the recipe creator and gluten-free food blogger at The Savory Celiac. Her blog includes recipes, restaurant recommendations, travel guides, and lifestyle tips. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2017 and is passionate about sharing her knowledge and experiences with the gluten-free community.